Dr. Jorge L. Gardyn, M.D., F.A.C.P.
Medical Director of Island Occupational Medical Resources, P.C. (IOMR)
Dr. Gardyn is a Board Certified Internist specializing in Occupational and Adult Medicine. His background includes Emergency Medicine and Critical Care. He has also been involved with the Fire and EMS service in New York for over 20 years.
Dr. Gardyn has written multiple articles on Coronary Artery Disease and Prevention for the Fire Service and is currently a National Speaker on Current Guidelines for Establishing Medical Programs in the Fire Service as well as Health Challenges in the Fire Service. He serves as the Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Francis X. Pendl Nassau County Firefighters Museum and Education Center and is currently the Chairman of the Board for Nassau Community College.
Dr. Gardyn entered medical school in 1980 and completed his Residency Training in Internal Medicine at Nassau County Medical Center. Dr. Gardyn worked as an Emergency Room Physician where he was exposed to a broad spectrum of cases including overdoses, toxic exposures, trauma, and cardiac arrests to name a few. He thoroughly enjoyed the challenging demands of the job - working in a fast-paced environment that required clear and quick decision-making at the point of care. These situations also put Dr. Gardyn in constant contact with police, EMS and local Fire Departments and essentially paved the way for his medical career path in Occupational Medicine.
From 2007-2015 Dr. Gardyn served as Division Chief of Occupational and Corporate Medicine at Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, New York. His responsibilities included overseeing the OSHA physicals for members of the Nassau County Police Department, Nassau County Fire Marshal’s Office, Department of Public Works and other government agencies in Nassau County.
NSIM: In 1990, Dr. Gardyn established his Internal Medicine practice Nassau Suffolk Internal Medicine (NSIM) and began to structure it in such as way as to create a one-stop medical clinic to provide comprehensive care for his patients. His practice includes on-site labs, suturing capabilities, x-ray and sonographic technology. NSIM expanded to encompass all of the diagnostic testing and on-site specialists that it does today so that, under the careful guidance of Dr. Gardyn, the whole patient may be attended to.
IOMR: In 1995, Dr. Gardyn opened Island Occupational Medical Resources, P.C. (IOMR) which provides high-quality medical examinations for members of the New York Fire Departments. What has made IOMR unique from inception is that all of the exam services performed by Dr. Gardyn and his team of nurses, doctors, and PA’s are provided on-site at the individual fire houses. As IOMR grew, so did the services offered which now include DOT exams, pre-employment physicals, Fitness for Duty Exams, as well as drug and alcohol testing. Today, IOMR covers over 30 Fire Departments and over 400 private companies.
In 2003, Dr. Gardyn was appointed the Medical Director for the Nassau County Fire Service Academy and the Nassau County EMS Academy. In 2008, Dr. Gardyn was recruited by Nassau University Medical Center to serve as the Division Chief of Occupational and Corporate Medicine and to oversee the Employee Health program at the hospital.
- IOMR’s 5,000 sq. ft. facility is located on the border of Nassau and Suffolk counties with parking available for 40 cars and room to accommodate trucks, buses, or tractor-trailers.
- IOMR’s medical team is DOT certified and registered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- IOMR’s staff is New York State licensed, registered and/or certified as Urine Drug Collectors and Breath Alcohol Technicians.
- Our computer network exceeds HIPAA security requirements, and allows our staff the ability to access your records in any location.
- Our proprietary software gives our clinical staff the ability to track your employee health history on a yearly basis.
- Computer-generated reports/forms are sent to our customers and their employees with the results of any physical and/or tests.
- DOT, NYS 19A and Worker’s Compensation forms are computer-generated.
- We customize the services provided to our customers by setting up an individualized protocol listing the authorized tests and any special instructions.
Visit us at our affiliate: Nassau/Suffolk Internal Medicine website www.nsimed.com